March 05, 2008

My first post


Last year my husband bought me my first sewing machine. I went crazy! I ran out the door to buy patterns and thread and pins and fabric. Ah! Fabric... each color more delicious than the last. It was like walking through a candy store. I'd been to craft shops before... I mean, I've been crafting since the first time I designed little skirts for my troll dolls to wear, then added bejeweled necklaces and hairpins (these first forays into crafting taught me to ALWAYS be careful with a hot glue gun). Later I designed cards, stationary, then jewelry. But sewing was something I'd never attempted beyond hemming a curtain. My first project was a little summer dress for my three year old daughter. It was two pieces of fabric, sewn together at the sides with ribbons that acted as straps. It was simple, but cute. Then I took on more ambitious projects. I was 6 months pregnant with my son, and hated the idea of buying a diaper bag when I could make one. I spent days pouring over fabric until I found it! Brown and cream striped canvas- all boy without being covered in pictures of dinos or trucks. I spent weeks sewing it. I was so proud of how it turned out. All the stitches weren't perfect, but it sure was strong enough to tote all the gear I would need, and then some. I couldn't stop! I was hooked on sewing. I made a mermaid skirt for my daughter, a fleece jacket for my husband, and a snuggly baby blanket for my son. It was magical watching all the pieces come together.
And then came Etsy...
We finally got internet at the house, and while looking around for new ideas, I stumbled upon this amazing community of artists and crafters. I was smitten! Now I have my own little shop
http://www.mybluebirdgifts.etsy.com/, a place where I can share the things I love. It's a little eclectic but that's the kind of person I am. I'd love for you to come by and see it sometime! Also, don't forget to check out some of my favorite links to other Etsy shops. Craft Power!

Well, I look forward to blogging a little more every week, letting you know what I'm up to. I also can't wait to feature other Etsians who's stuff inspires me! For now, I've got to get back to work... my sewing machine is calling my name!

1 comment:

grubb girls said...

welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! thanks for adding glamorous girl to your favs! congrats on your first sale! i got my first too - yeah!