March 12, 2008

Featuring: Feather and Bean

Etsy is just like a box of Cracker Jacks. You open it up, and you know that no matter what, there is a prize waiting inside for you. But sometimes, yes, sometimes there is a bonus prize... a little extra treat someone slipped inside the box. That extra treat is Heather and her shop Feather and Bean. While perusing through all the little lovelies Etsy has to offer, I happened upon this stunning pair of wood and pearl earrings. So beautifully crafted, I just had to see more.


Espresso Wood and Pearl Earrings





After looking through her shop, I was hooked! I just had to know more about the craftswoman responsible...


(mama b) So what made you decide to start an Etsy Shop?

(F&B) As soon as Etsy was discovered, I wanted to be a part of it. The idea of having artists and crafters from all over the world in one place is so invigorating. My hope is to grow my business through the contacts I meet on Etsy and also to have a forum for discussing ideas. There are so many creative people... and the Etsy community is clearly passionate about what they do.
What has been your favorite piece to create?
My favorite piece on Etsy is the Rosewood Gem-cut Pendant with Sterling Silver neckwire. I adore working with wood and Rosewood is especially beautiful. There are so many colors in the grain and it was challenging to find a cut that would showcase the graining the best. I faceted the block using a technique similar to lapidary or gem cutting artists. The finished piece is simple and charming, I think, and it looks really modern and feminine to me.




Were you crafty as a kid? What was the craziest thing you ever made?

I was always a crafty kid. My mother used to sew all of my clothes and she passed along her skills to me. We would do art projects at home all of the time. Looking back, I think the silliest thing I did was when I made all kinds of household objects for my Barbie house. For some reason I was really concerned that they didn't have things like toilet paper and band aids. So, I made them! The project I was most proud of was "The Grass Family". I took some old soup cans and decorated them like the members of my family. Then, I planted different grasses in the top to look like our hair. I was obsessed with them for at least a month.




Now for the hardest question of all... if you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

One food? Only one? That would be excruciating. How about potatoes? I'm of Irish descent, so I know how to do a million things with potatoes.

Being from Idaho myself, I can't think of a better way to end this little interview!
Go check out Feather and Bean on Etsy today, and don't forget to add this little gem to your favorites!


A few more beautiful pieces found at Feather and Bean














3 comments:

DECA Candle and Bath said...

Very nice work. I love the espresso earrings.

Martha Hughes said...

I'm a big fan of the faceted rosewood pendant myself.

Kestrel said...

WOW, the rosewood piece is beautifully inspiring. I love seeing truly original craft.
~ Neysa
http://www.kestreldesigns.etsy.com
www.myspace.com/_painted_bird_